Monday, August 23, 2010

Getting to Know Blake Davis

I wrote this for Weberhoops a few weeks ago and forgot to post it here. Enjoy.

August 9th It has been almost two years since redshirt freshman, Blake Davis, committed to come to Ogden to play for Coach Randy Rahe and the Wildcats. Now that his redshirt year is over, he is anxious to get out on the court and show Wildcat fans he belongs on a Division I court. And should he catch Rahe's eye, he may very well get good minutes on the court this year.

Minutes from two of the three guard positions will be mostly taken by returning veterans, Damian Lillard and Lindsey Hughey. However, it appears that the third guard position is wide open for one of this year's younger players to claim. And Davis just might be the one to do so.

When Davis committed to the Wildcats in September of 2008, Coach Rahe had good things to say. "Blake is a tough, hard-nosed. competitive kid. He plays extremely hard everyday and just knows how to play on both ends of the court." Rahe went on to describe Davis and the recruits he came with. He said, "We are really excited about having these players coming into our program. First off, they are all good students and work hard in the classroom. They are all high character individuals, good citizens and will be good teammates. Each of them has a bright future ahead of them here at Weber State.

Davis was kind enough to respond to a few questions I emailed him. Based on his responses, I think Rahe knew what he was talking about.

Weber Hoops: How has your summer been?
Blake Davis: Summer's been good, and really nice to be home with the fam.

WH: Is it true you work on a farm? How did you get that job? Have you always been a farmer?
BD: Haha. I went to Oklahoma to visit my mom's side of the family, and while I was out there, I worked on their farm. When I'm at home, I work for my buddy's mom. They have horses, goats, chickens, roosters, pigs, turkeys, and a barn, so I just keep things clean there, and do some handy work. Just pretty much anything that needs fixing.

WH: Is there something you can tell WSU fans about yourself that we don't know? Hobbies, nicknames, or anything like that?
BD: Haha. I can't think of anything.

WH: What have you been doing with basketball this summer?
BD: I've been lifting with my strength coach, shooting at my old high school, and playing at different open runs throughout Arizona.

WH: Last year you were on the team as a redshirt. This year as a redshirt freshman you will be able to play in games. How exciting is this for you?
BD: I'm very excited to be playing this year. It was hard to sit through all those games last year, knowing I wasn't going to be able to get in there and play. Now that I have gone through the redshirt year, I'm glad I did it. But now it's time to get in there and hoop.

WH: Have you had the opportunity to meet the incoming freshmen and JC transfer Bamforth yet?
BD: I met those guys while I was at Weber for June. They're really good guys, and Kyle Tresnek is actually from Arizona. I work out with him when we are home.

WH: There is going to be a lot of youth and inexperienced players on the team this year. Who do you expect to step up and contribute this year?
BD: Dame is definitely going to step up and be a key factor in our season. I also think Trev will have a good senior season and bring a lot of leadership.

WH: How do you hope to contribute this year?
BD: I hope to bring some fire and enthusiasm to the court. Do the little things to help our team win and knock down shots.

WH: Can we expect to see Rahe and the Wildcats go dancing this year?
BD: Oh yeah definitely.

No comments: