Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wildcats have rich history


I am a huge fan of Weber State basketball. I hold season tickets, I often attend the coach’s luncheon at Ligori’s and I write a blog for a fans website. It really bothers me when I tell someone how my number one hobby is Weber State basketball and they give me a funny look or make a snide comment like, ‘Weber State? Don’t you mean Harrison High?’ I just don’t get it. I’ve attended most of the home games this year and have been disappointed to see it filled over half-capacity only three times. I think most residents of the greater Ogden area just aren’t aware of what they have up on the hill. Maybe they are not aware of the history and success of Weber State basketball.

In the last 10 year the ‘Cats have gone to the NCAA tournament three times. In 1999 they stunned the nation by upsetting third seeded University of North Carolina. I’m pretty sure that is more appearances and wins in the tournament than other division 1 programs in Utah.

On March 10-11, because the ‘Cats became Big Sky champions, Weber State will host the Big Sky Championship where the winner will receive an automatic berth to the NCAA tournament. The Dee Events Center holds 11,666 people. Let’s get the community excited about our amazing basketball program and get them to come to the game and fill the Dee to capacity.

I am proud to say I live in Ogden, home of the Weber State Wildcats. I hope the community is too. And I hope we can all show up to the tournament and help our team make it to the NCAA tournament for the second time in three years.

No comments: